Saturday 8 February 2020

WHERE LOYALTIES LIE11 Plot changes

We decided we were far behind our original schedule therefore we organised to do a Saturday rehearsal. We have decided to make a large adjustment to our plot. Our original influence was from the play 'Art' and recently we have been drifting away from it a bit too much, meaning we have nothing to fall back on . Stimuli are extremely important when creating theatre as without it, you feel lost.

James explained his new idea for the plot and it worked a lot better. One change was that James, myself and Tristan are now best friends from school. A scene we decided to develop was a fragmented monologue between these three characters. We started off by writing a monologue individually for 5 minutes. This worked very well, as we decided on a way to link each monologue. We chose to have certain words to link each section of speech. Here is the script we wrote.


HarryI'm Harry Thomas. I'm 26. Work in an office for a stationary company. Have done for four years now. It's not my end goal. I wanna be higher up in the company. I want make money like my mate 
Harry/DaveDave 
Dave - David Jones. My mates call me Dave. I work for Amazon as a sales director. I always excelled in school and maybe that's why I am where I am today. I got A*'s in all my exams, I was able to go to Uni a year early to study Business and Economics. Harry and Freddie have always been my best mates, we grew up together, we are….. 
Dave/Freddie – Basically Brothers  
Freddie - 'Brothers Ice Cream'. That’s what we were gonna call it. I still remember when Harry bought that ice cream van the year we graduated. I've never seen him happier since then. 
*Cuts to Harry from past* 
Harry - Mate I've just bought this new van. For ice cream. We can make millions and do this for the rest of our lives. 
*Back to present* 
Freddie - And then he sold it. I still don't know why. It was a great investment. Good old days. AnywayI bought this pub and called it Brothers bar in honour of that Ice cream dream. And it is / a dream come true 
Freddie/Davea dream come true 
Dave because it means we get free drinks every now and again, courtesy of Freddie of course. Although he's been abusing the stock a bit recently. Our friendship is about to be tested though because I think that Harry is about to propose to Meredith.  
Dave/Harry - Meredith. 
Harry - My ray of sunshine. Might marry her soon. She's bloody mental though. One of them spiritual ones. I'll come home from work and she'll be hanging off the back of the sofa listening to whale sounds. Says it brings out her inner mermaid. She wants me to quit my job and move to Hawaii with her. I'm not doing that though. I'm happy here. I have the boys.

While we were doing this, the rest of our cast were working on a fairy tale style 3 minute performance to show our whole new plot line. This was extremely useful as it finally cleared up the process for us. Here is the storyline:

- once upon a time in London, there were three friends from university, Harry, Dave,Fred (Louis, Tristan, James)
- one day Harry met Meredith (me), and they fell in love
- they were very happy, but Dave didn't like how she was changing him
- Fred was caught in the middle, torn between his two friends
- but one day, Jane (Emma) came along and started dating Dave
- everyone was happy, and Fred was just glad there was no conflict
- things were going so well that Harry and Meredith got engaged, she decided they should move to Hawaii
- but behind their backs, Dave said to Jane that they should break them up to avoid losing Harry
- meanwhile in Brighton, Meredith's brother Geoff (Hugo),  his roommate Charles (Seth) and Charles' girlfriend Marie (Silvana) were having a conversation. 'Since we all want to move to London, why don't we live together?'
- Geoff found a place, but they had to find somewhere to stay for a couple of weeks in between
- Geoff called up Meredith, who said they could come to stay
- after a few days of living together, Meredith introduced them to her and Harry's friends
- but at some point in the evening after constantly hitting on Fred, Geoff overheard Dave and Jane discussing their evil plan
- Geoff went straight to Meredith and told her, but Meredith didn't believe it. 'You're just jealous'.
- Geoff didn't give up. He went to Charles and Marie to ask for their help. They decided that Marie should befriend Jane and convince her to stop
- they became fast friends, and Jane eventually decided to tell Dave to stop it. They fight, and she breaks it off
- it was too late though, as Harry heard that Meredith had been cheating on him with Fred
- he confronted her and she was hurt that he doesn't trust her
- they broke off the engagement
- Geoff found out and enlisted Fred's help in comforting them. Geoff sent Fred to Harry, while he went to his sister
- Meredith told Geoff that Harry thought she cheated on him with Fred and Geoff realised what he's done
- they rushed over to Harry, who was yelling at Fred who was totally confused
- Fred pointed out that he didn't have time to even see Meredith let alone sleep with her because he was too busy running away from Geoff's advances
- Harry realised he has made a mistake and apologised to Meredith
- they got back together and told Dave where to go
- and they all lived happily ever after

This was a vital rehearsal as it is the only rehearsal I have felt we have made important progress. With our performance coming up soon, we were worrying slightly as we were far behind. We needed this rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment